Saturday, March 2, 2013

Matthew 25:40

What is poverty? I struggle to find one correct answer to this question. Poverty is different for everyone. In America, you can live in poverty and still own a house and have food on the table. In parts of Africa, to live in poverty often means you go days without food, you sleep on the ground, you can't afford an education. 

I have been blessed. I live in the United States, which in itself provides many great opportunities. I have food on the table for every meal (and also food for in between meals). I drink clean water every day. I'm receiving an education from a great college. I have a house to go home to, I have enough clothes to get me through a couple weeks without wearing the same thing twice, I have a vehicle that gets me from place to place, I am healthy and happy. But sometimes I ask myself why? 

Don't get me wrong. I am so incredibly thankful for all of this. It is only because of God that I enjoy these things. But when I think about it, I just don't understand why I live this blessed life when there are hundreds of thousands, even millions, of people who suffering every day from diseases and starvation. There are children who run around naked because they have no clothes or shoes. There are teenagers who are nothing but skin and bones because they have no food. There are mothers and fathers who lay awake at night because they don't know how they are going to feed their children the next day. Why do I have a surplus of food and clothing when they people have nothing? 

It's not fair. I have done nothing to deserve what I have. I am no different from them. They are human, and I am human. They are intensely loved by God, and I am intensely loved by God. It just doesn't seem fair that they are dying of a disease when the medication in America can be bought for less than $10. It isn't right that they go long periods of time without a balanced meal, and here I am, throwing away perfectly good food in the cafeteria because either it didn't taste good or I've already stuffed myself too full and I can't finish it. 

This bothers me so much. Sometimes I think about it so hard that it makes my head hurt. It simply isn't fair. The worst part is that so many Americans have no idea what is actually going on in other countries. We see commercials on TV about these children who run around in the dumps looking for food, and we say, "That's so sad! I wish I could help." Then we turn the channel as we take a sip of our soda or eat a little more of our popcorn. 

I've seen poverty firsthand. I went to Peru this past summer, and I saw children playing in the mud with no shoes or pants on. I saw families living in shacks. I saw little boys and girls with bloated stomachs from parasites. My eyes were definitely opened to a different side of the world. Yet sometimes I forget these things that I saw. I complain about the food in college and how there is never anything I want to eat. I take for granted the fact that I even have food in the first place. 

In some ways, I think Christians in America are failing these people. We hear stories from missionaries about their hardships, we donate money to their cause, and we are content to just sit in our pews on Sundays and listen. If we were to be approached by someone about an opportunity to serve in a third-world country, many of us would give excuses like we are too busy, we don't have time, we have families that we can't leave, etc. The list could go on and on. 

I'm not saying that giving to missionaries isn't an effective way to help. That's not the point at all. Our missionaries are incredible people who are giving of themselves to serve the Lord and others. They need our support and prayers by all means. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be content to just stop there. We need to be willing to go to these places ourselves. We need to be willing to step out of our comfort zones and see the world through God's eyes. And most of all, when we do travel to other parts of the world, we need to remember that these people deserve our respect and our love. We cannot strip others of their dignity. They are hard-working people who love their families - this is no different from most of us. 

Lastly, we need to remember to be continually thankful to God for each of the blessings He has given to us. I mean really be thankful. All of this could be stripped from us in an instant. It is only by God's grace and mercy that America is living in wealth - this could all change. If we were all suddenly plunged into extreme poverty, wouldn't we want the help of others from around the world? Wouldn't we look to our fellow humans to support us in our troubling times? 

If nothing else, at least think about these things. You don't have to feel bad when you eat a bag of potato chips or a donut or whatever. I do those things all the time. Maybe, however, when do you allow yourself to indulge, say a prayer to God, asking Him how you might be able to help others. It may be something small - helping a local food bank, volunteering at a homeless shelter. Baby steps. You don't have to completely jump in right at the get-go. Start by putting your toe in the water. Quit standing on the sidelines and do something. 




1 comment:

  1. Very well put! Most of us have NO idea what it means to be living here. It is truly sad. You have such a huge heart, and I can't wait to see the many ways God will use you to serve Him. :)

    ReplyDelete