Sunday, November 11, 2012

Giving of our best

Each of us has talents. Regardless of whether someone can do something better than you, there is something that you can do better than them. There are times when I will be listening to a song and think, "Wow, I wish I could sing like her." Or sometimes when I am watching a professional soccer game, I find myself sometimes envious of the girls with the talent to play at that level. I find myself wishing that I had been a better player. 

However, we must keep in mind that God has given each of us specific talents in order to carry out a certain purpose. Obviously God's purpose in my life was not to be a great singer or a professional athlete, despite how cool I think that would be. I may not have the ability to be great in those areas, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them. I was able to play soccer in high school and enjoy the competitiveness of the sport. I also have the ability to sing (though sometimes not very well), and I am able to enjoy that as well. 

Yes, all of us have talents, but so often, we don't give of the best of our talents to God. He gives us these gifts, and we squander them and use them for our purposes. For example, there are many great singers in the world who use their voices to sing songs full of obscenities and vulgarity. This is not giving glory to God. They are using their God-given talents to bring fame, money and attention to themselves. 

Some of my favorite verses on this topic are Colossians 3:23-24. I'm sure they are familiar to many of you: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the LORD, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the LORD as a reward. It is the LORD Christ you are serving.

What I love about these verses is that they don't specifically say to give the best of only your talents. No, the first part of verse 23 says, whatever you do. Anything. Even if you aren't necessarily good at it, do it with all of your heart and put forth your best effort. To men, it may seem foolish, but God is so pleased when we try our hardest for His glory, even if it involves something we really stink at. 

I remember when I first started playing the violin. The violin is one of those instruments that can be very, very beautiful in the hands of the right person, OR it can be a horrible, screeching, crackly sounding instrument. And unfortunately, when you are first starting out, you don't sound like Itzhak Perlman (look him up if you don't know of him... he's amazing!). Well as soon as people from my church found out that I was learning the violin, they wanted me to incorporate it into some special music. I balked and complained and whined so badly to my mom because I thought that it sounded horrible! And to this day, I still think I sound horrible. But what my mom always reminded me was that I was to be playing for the Lord and not for men. It didn't matter what the congregation thought. God is pleased when we use our abilities to glorify Him. 

The sad thing about America today is that so many people are not doing their best. There are so many bright minds in this country that are too busy playing video games, going out and partying, doing drugs. There is so much talent among young people that is basically getting washed down the drain. They just don't care. 

The problem is that they don't believe in God, so they feel no conviction to do their best. They feel that their lives are their own, so why should they work hard? As Christians, we know differently. We have been bought at a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). We are not our own. We were once slaves until Christ bought us with His precious blood. Now we are free of bondage, but we are still the property of Christ. 

If we do our very best and give the praise to God, He will reward us. We may not see that reward in this life, but God is not going to leave us hanging. He doesn't expect us all to be great teachers and speakers, singers and musicians. He just asks that we take whatever He has given us and try our hardest. After all, if you read through the Bible, you will find that the men and women that God used the most were not the strongest or wisest - often they were quite the opposite - yet God used them in mighty ways to further His purpose. 

Remember that God often uses "foolish" people over wise people to do His will (1 Corinthians 1:27). If you allow Him to work in your life, and if you pledge to Him to give of your very best, God will use you in ways you never even imagined. Sometimes He will use you even if you don't want to be used. However, it's always easier and less painful if you are open and receptive to His working in your life. 

Keep this all in mind the next time you are asked to do something that you don't think you can do. Give it your best shot and give it all to God. More often than not, it turns out much better than you expected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment